Making Scores Meaningful: The Role of Standards
What is a norm referenced scale? What is a criterion referenced scale? Which is better for my context?
This webinar from Questionmark’s in-house psychometrician explores some key concepts in understanding assessment practices. Using examples from the driving test, to educational qualifications, to job interviews, we can see the real-world applicability of these concepts, and see their relevance to one’s own assessment decision making:
- What standards achieve, what kinds of decisions they can enable
- The differences between norm and criterion referenced standards
- How to establish a standard
- How to maintain a standard
- Whether a standard is needed at all
Touching on key issues of validity, feedback to improve performance, and defensibility, we can relate one’s own challenges with the challenges of others in similar situations to broaden our understanding, and thereby deepen our appreciation also.
Submit the form to watch the recording and get a copy of the slides.