Using third-party web service testing applications
Since QMWISe uses standard web services technology it is possible to easily test the methods using any third party testing application that uses SOAP. The following section explains how to use soapUI to connect to Perception and test the web services with it.
soapUI can be downloaded from the soapUI website.
The following section explains how to connect soapUI to Questionmark and QMWISe. To connect soapUI:
Launch the soapUI application
- Click File | New soapUI Project
- Enter an appropriate Project Name
- In the Initial WSDL/WADL field, enter the location for the QMWISe WSDL. The default location for the QMWISe WSDL is:
If you're a Perception user:
<Perception server>is the domain name/computer name where QMWISe is set up.
If you're an OnDemand user:
<customer ID>is the customer ID of your OnDemand account.
- Select the Create Requests option
- Click OK
The WSDL will now be loaded in to soapUI with a sample request for each method. The sample requests make it easy to quickly create any given request.
In the example below, we will create a new topic folder in the Shared Repository using the CreateTopic web service and soapUI. To run the example request follow the instructions below:
- Select the QMWISe project you created above
- Expand the QMWISeSoap tree to display all the available web services
- Scroll down the list and locate the CreateTopic web service
- Expand the CreateTopic web service, where you should see the sample request called Request 1.
If Request 1 is not available, right-click on the web service and select New Request. Enter a name for the request and click OK.
- Double-click Request 1. A window displaying the request should appear:
- It is now possible to enter the required information in to each XML tag for the request, e.g., the Security header information you calculated can be added to the web service Security section:
- Once the Security header has been updated, you can start to update the information required by the CreateTopic web service
- For the parameters that are not needed, you should ensure that the ? contained in the XML tag is removed. This includes the Trust header at the top of the request.
- Once these have been removed, click the Submit request button (the green arrow) in the top left corner of the window:
- A response from the server should now be displayed:
The response displays the Topic_ID of the new topic you just created in your repository. You can use Authoring Manager or Enterprise Manager to see this topic. However, if you received an error, this will either be because there is a problem with the Request information or a problem with the sever. Please check the information that the response provides and refer to the error codes, if required.
You have tested your first web service. You can use soapUI to run any of the other web services and it is a good way of testing the requests and responses you plan to use in your application.