How can I navigate in an assessment?
Depending on the assessment you take, you may have several different mechanisms for navigating through questions.
Single page assessment
If your assessment is a single page assessment (all the questions appear on one page), you can move between questions by scrolling up and down the page by using the:
- Mouse/touchpad scroll buttons (if your mouse has one)
- Scrollbar in the browser
- Page Up/Page Down keys on the keyboard
- Pressing the Tab key to move between selectable elements
A question-by-question assessment contains questions on separate pages. To move between questions, you can:
- Use the Next question / Previous question buttons by clicking on them with the mouse, on the screen (if taking an assessment on a touch screen), or pressing the spacebar (when selected). If you are viewing the assessment in a window with a small area, the Next and Previous buttons may be replaced by < and > buttons.
- Use the Assessment Navigator, if enabled, to move between questions in an assessment. To do this, open the Assessment Navigator and use the mouse or keyboard to select the question you would like to navigate to. If you are viewing the assessment in a window with a small area, the Assessment Navigator button could be replaced by a symbol.
When the size of an assessment window is decreased past a certain threshold, the Next question / Previous question buttons will be replaced by < and > buttons. If the assessment window is increased, the Next question / Previous question buttons will return.
Navigating an assessment on a mobile device (such as an iOS or Android device) works in a similar fashion as navigating a browser-based assessment. You can move between questions by swiping up or down on the screen in a single-page assessment or swiping across the screen in a question-by-question assessment. In a mobile assessment, however, the Next question / Previous question buttons look a little different from their browser-based versions.
There currently is no Assessment Navigator dialog in mobile assessments.
The Assessment Navigator allows you to select a question in an assessment without having to navigate through questions one at a time. Clicking on the Assessment Navigator button will bring up the Assessment Navigator dialog, in which you can scroll through the questions available in an assessment, represented as numbers. If you click on a number in the navigator dialog, it is highlighted in white, and the corresponding assessment question will be displayed.
Any tools included in an assessment will appear in the Assessment Navigator dialog below the questions.
Once a question has been answered, it will be highlighted in the navigator dialog.
The flagging feature helps you mark a question if you want to return to it later in the assessment.
To flag a question, navigate to the question you want to flag and click the (Flag this Question) button next to the Assessment Navigator button at the bottom of the assessment. A flagged question can be identified by the yellow triangle next to the corresponding question number in the navigator dialog.
As there currently is no Assessment Navigator in mobile assessments, you cannot flag questions in mobile assessments at the present time.