Knowledge Matrix question
On this screen, you can specify the following details for a Knowledge Matrix question:
- Delivery style, e.g., "Scored" or "Unscored"
- Question wording, e.g., "Rank Drake's album in the order that they were released."
- Question choices, e.g., "Thank Me Later", "Take Care", and "Nothing Was the Same"
- Question options, e.g., "Always", "Often", "Sometimes", "Rarely", and "Never"
- Question description, e.g., "A question asking in what order Drake's three studio albums were released"
- Whether to include a comment box for participants
- Add a note
In a Knowledge Matrix question, participants are presented several Multiple Choice questions together and selects one choice for each question presented.
When you have entered the question wording, choices and description, it is recommended that you check the spelling of your text. To do so, click the Spell Check button.
The following options are available when saving a question:
- Click Save to save all changes and continue editing the question. A message appears confirming the question has been saved.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the Save button and then:
- select Save and new Multiple Choice to save all changes and begin creating a new Multiple Choice question,
- hover over Save and new..., and then select the type of question to create,
- or select Save and exit to save all changes and exit the question editor.
If changes have been made to a question, a revision comment must be entered first before exiting the question editor.
Click Exit to leave the question editor. If any changes have been made to the question, a message appears warning that these changes will not be saved.
It is possible to choose how you want to deliver the question. You can deliver the question in the following styles:
- Scored provides the ability to add specific scoring and feedback values to the question choices.
- Unscored provides a simple question layout for survey based assessments with no access to setting scores or adding feedback.
To create or edit the wording for your question, click where it says Click here to change the question wording and enter the desired question wording. You can use the text formatting toolbar to present the question wording in any way you wish. Refer to Using the text formatting toolbar for more information on how to do this.
When you create a Knowledge Matrix question, several choices are automatically added to the question. The text of these default choices are set to Enter new choice text here. To change this text, click where it says "Enter new choice text here" and enter the desired wording. You can use the text formatting toolbar to present choices in any way you wish. Refer to Using the text formatting toolbar for more information on how to do this.
To score a Knowledge Matrix question, enter the desired score for a correct response Correct field, and enter the desired score for an incorrect response in the Incorrect field.
To add an additional question choice, click Add new choice. The new choice will be added to the list below the existing choices.
To delete a question choice, click the delete button next to the question choice.
Before you can save a Knowledge Matrix question, each question choice requires that a question option has been selected for it as the "correct" option. For information on creating question options, please see the Creating question options section.
After an option has been selected for a question choice, a score must be assigned to it before the question can be saved. The score assigned to the question choice must be a whole number with a value of 1 or greater.
Ordering question choices
Once you have created your question choices, you can specify if you want them to be presented in a particular order or randomly shuffled. To arrange your choices in a particular order, select a choice and drag it to the desired location.
To shuffle choices, select your choice shuffling option from the drop-down list in the Toolbar. The following options can be selected:
- No shuffling means that choices will be presented in the order in which they appear.
- All means that all choices will be shuffled.
- All but last choice mean that all choices will be shuffled apart from the last choice which will always be presented last.
- All but last two choices means that all choices will be shuffled apart from the last two choices, which will always be presented last.
Please note that if you arrange your choices in a particular order but do not select No shuffling from the drop-down list in the toolbar, your choices will not be presented in the required order.
You have the option to present feedback to participants based on their answer. You can display feedback for each question choice. To display feedback to participants:
- Click Show feedback.
- Clicking Hide feedback will hide the feedback from the user interface but will still appear to participants.
- Enter the desired feedback for each question choice in the Enter correct feedback here and/or the Enter incorrect feedback here fields.
- You can choose to enter feedback for both correct and incorrect responses, one of the two, or neither of the two.
After you have created the desired question choices, you will need to create the question options. These options are what participants will select between for each question choice in the Knowledge Matrix question. To create a question option:
- Click Edit options.
- Enter the desired text for the question option in the provided field.
- Click Add. The option will be added to the table above.
- To delete a question option, click the delete button to the right of the question option.
- After you have created the desired question choices, you can select one for each question choice. A question option must be selected for each question choice before a Knowledge Matrix question can be saved.
Question descriptions enable you to provide information about the question being created.
To add a description to a question:
- Click Edit question properties.
- Enter the desired question description in the Question description field.
- Click OK.
If no question description is specified, the question wording will be used as the question description.
Adding a comment box to a question enables participants to provide a response to the question. This is particularly useful when creating surveys.
To add a comment box to a question, click Add comment box. The comment box will be added to the bottom of the question.
Once a comment box has been added, you can edit the text used to introduce the comment box. By default, this is: "Add your comment:"
All of the users who have permissions to edit a question can add notes to it. Notes will not be shown to participants. To add a note to the question:
- Click Add note.
- Enter a note in the Note field.
- Click Post to post the note. It will appear below any existing notes. All users who have permissions to view and edit the question will be able to see the note.
- Clicking Clear will remove all of the text in the Note field.