Creating an SQL Server 2005/2008 Express database
SQL Server 2005/2008 Express is a free desktop database that is limited in functionality when compared to SQL Server 2005/2008. For serious production use, you should not use an SQL Server Express database. However, for running a light production system needing to deliver approximately 1000 assessments per week it is adequate.
The limits imposed on SQL Server Express include:
- Full Text Search is not included as standard - It is only available if you download and install the Express Advanced Services add-on
- Management Studio is not included as standard - A limited version of Management Studio is available as SQL Server Management Studio Express which can be downloaded separately or is available as part of Express Advanced Services add-on
- CPU - Is limited to 1 CPU
- RAM - Can only use a maximum of 1 GB
- Database Size - Maximum database size is 4 GB of information
It is recommended that you use the following edition of SQL Server Express:
- SQL Server 2005/2008 Express Edition with Advanced Services
This version is the most complete version of SQL Server 2005/2008 Express and contains all the components listed above and is a requirement if you intend to use the question searching features.
SQL Server 2005 Express with Advanced Services can be downloaded from the following web site:
SQL Server 2008 Express with Advanced Services can be downloaded from the following web site:
To install SQL Server 2005/2008 Express, please refer to the instructions that accompany the product.
When installing SQL Server 2005/2008 Express ensure you set the following appropriately:
There is no need to create a database or ODBC connection if using SQL Server 2005/2008 Express. This is automatically done by the Shared Repository Manager.