9. Download and install Perception
After you have completed the previous seven steps, you can download and install Questionmark Perception 5.7.
Perception needs to be installed on the server that you have installed all the prerequisites on.
The following sections explain how to download and install Perception for a basic installation.
The Perception installer can be obtained from the Questionmark website.
To download the installer:
- Navigate to www.questionmark.com.
- Click Downloads and then select Product downloads.
- Locate the Questionmark Perception - Server 5.7 section and click Download.
- If you are not already logged in, you will be asked to provide your Questionmark Communities username and password.
- The application will now start to download and you should receive an email with the password necessary to run the installer.
Once the installer has downloaded, you can run it as required to install Perception.
A basic installation involves installing all the components of Perception on a single server and then attaching it to a database hosted on another server.
The installer will guide you through the process of installing Perception. The installer requires you to enter a password before it will install Perception Server. This password should have been sent to you by email. Please contact Questionmark if you have not received this email.
By default, users do not have administrative user rights if you are logged on as a user other than the built-in administrator. This is also true even if you were added to the local Administrators group on the computer (this is a new security feature in Windows Server 2008 R2 called Local User Administrator). If you do not have these privileges, Perception will not install correctly. Log in as the built-in administrator account, or explicitly invoke applications as the built-in administrator by using the Run as administrator command. You will need to make sure you are logged in as an administrator when completing the installation of Perception.
Once you have the necessary software in place and you know the details required, to install Perception:
- Double-click the installer enter the required password.
- Click Next on the Welcome screen.
- Accept the End User License Agreement and click Next.
- Select the Typical install and click Next.
- Choose where you would like to install Perception and the application data, including repository files. You can keep the default location, or click Browse to indicate an alternative path. If you're installing Perception on more than one machine, all of the installation paths on each machine must be identical. Click Next to continue.
If this server is to be accessed externally, enter the URL for the web server by selecting User Defined and entering the domain name in the text-box. Alternatively, select This Computer if users will be using the computer name as the URL to access Perception. This URL can be changed at any time using the configuration application.
If you are intending to access Perception using an IP address, you must select the User Defined setting and enter the IP address in the field. Failure to do so will cause certain functions in Perception to work incorrectly. For example:
- File upload questions will not work correctly, preventing participants from uploading answers
- Links to reports that a participant has access to will not work
- Click Next
- On the Installation Options screen, select if you would like to:
- Enable the automatic Authoring Manager upgrade options.
- Click Next and click Install to begin the installation.
- Once the installation process has finished, check the Launch Questionmark Configuration Application option and click Finish to launch the configuration application in a browser window.
Continue to step 10 to begin configuring Perception, which begins with creating the Main and Results Warehouse (RW) databases.