Conference 2019 Session: Principles of Test-Item Writing, Test Development and Analytics
Principles of Test-Item Writing, Test Development and Analytics
Writing test items is difficult, but trying to make them check more than knowledge is a huge challenge. All tests should be well developed and testing practices beneficial. There is extensive evidence documenting the effectiveness of well-constructed tests in relation to supporting the validity of the test. Improper use of tests or interpretation of scores, however, can cause considerable harm to test takers as well as others affected by test-based decisions. This powerful, fast-paced workshop provides instruction and engages participants in the design and development of test items and assessments.
The active learning process will be used to ensure participants are fully engaged. As time permits, participants will be given the opportunity to develop test items using the Questionmark Assessment Management System. This course is designed for anyone involved in the test development, review and administration process, from novice to seasoned professionals.
The workshop includes the following topics:
- The Testing Process
- The Test Development Process
- Development of Learning Objectives
- Topic Structure Development
- Importance and Development of a Test Plan
- Cognitive Levels of Testing and Item Complexity
- Importance of the Use of Correct Grammar and Effective Language
- Test Item Development
- Determining Cut/Passing Scores
- Reporting and Analytics
- Bring a laptop
- Be able to connect to Questionmark OnDemand using a provided wireless internet connection
Owner and Chief Executive Manager, Compass Consultants, LLC
Jim has over 38 years experience as a course designer, developer and instructor. Jim has partnered with Questionmark over the years both as a subject matter expert and previous customer. He has presented numerous assessment best practice trainings and at Questionmark User's Conference.
- Date & Time: Tuesday, February 26 -- 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Eastern Time)
- Location: Hard Rock Hotel San Diego
- Instructor: Jim Parry, Compass Consultants, LLC
- Registration Fee: $495 for conference participants